Iacono Law Serving New York's Legal Needs

Toll Free888-855-6208



Providing Legal Resolutions That Protect Your Interests

October 2016 Archives

Can my ex move away with our children?

Custody matters can be complex and emotionally difficult. Add the possibility of your children moving away with your ex and the situation becomes even more heart-wrenching. In these situations, it is vital to understand your legal rights and the potential decisions the court may take when deciding on the case.

Quirk in New York law regarding professional degrees

It is not uncommon for New Yorkers to hold degrees that are seemingly unrelated to their current professions. For example, a person with a law degree may start a non-profit or go into teaching. Someone with a Master's in public health may open a coffee shop, or an account many switch careers and become a social worker.

Can alimony payments be modified in New York?

During the divorce process, alimony, or spousal maintenance, may be established where one ex-spouse pays the other money when there is a substantial difference in the income of both parties. This can be paid as a lump sum, periodic payments, a percentage of earnings or through a transfer of property.

Service of process and...Facebook?

In order to begin a divorce, a Summons must be served on the other spouse. This puts them on notice you are persuing dissolution of marriage. Service of these documents cannot be completed by you or someone under 18. Typically a process server conducts this process, which requires them to locate the person to be served at home or at work in order to hand them the documents.